RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication – a web feed format for publishing frequent updates of site content such as news, blog posts, etc.
Publishers benefit from RSS feeds because this lets them syndicate their site content automatically. Readers benefit from web feeds by getting timely updates when something new is posted on their favorite websites.
Joomla 1.5 gives you 2 easy options to add RSS feeds to your website:
1. Publish a feed as a new module:
- Step 1. Log in to your Joomla admin area and go to Extensions > Module Manager > New.
- Step 2. From the available options check Feed Display and click Next.
- Step 3. Fill in the module name, choose its position and type the RSS feed URL.
- Step 4. Click Save and your RSS feed module will be published.
2. Publish a feed through the News Feeds component:
- Step 1. Log in to your Joomla admin area and go to Components > News Feeds.
- Step 2. Click Categories.
- Step 3. Click New.
- Step 4. Fill in the category details – title, alias, access level.
- Step 5. Click Save.
- Step 6. Go to Components > News feeds > Feeds and click New.
- Step 7. Fill in the name of the news feed, select the newly-created category from the drop-down menu and type the RSS feed link.
- Step 8. Click Save and your RSS feed will be published.
For the feeds to be displayed on your website, the News Feeds component should be published.
You can also check our video tutorial on how to display an RSS feed in Joomla 1.5.